Winfrida M.A. Ojwang,
Chief Catering Officer
Welcome to the Department of Catering, Laikipia University. The Department is a service unit which supports other services offered by the entire University. We operate with a Service Delivery charter which we follow to the letter.
We are charged with the responsibility of providing catering services to over 2000 customers daily, with most of our clientele being students. However, catering services are also extended to staff, all stakeholders and any visitor from outside the University. We operate a PAYE (Pay As You EAT) system, whereby a customer pays to the cashier on duty before being served with a meal.
The Department of Catering is situated opposite the Halls of Residence at the University.
A Department for valued transformation of society.
To serve the students and society by providing hygienic, nutritive, affordable meals and advice on healthy eating.
- Customer satisfaction
- To co-ordinate, prepare and serve meals.
- To co-ordinate, procure, prepare and store all catering facilities.
- To sell quality meals at affordable prices.
- To manage all Kitchens and Restaurants under the jurisdiction of the Department.
The Department currently operates two restaurants and kitchens, namely; University and Vision 2030 Restaurants and Kitchens.
This facility is majorly patronized by students and operates from 6.30am – 9.00pm.
The main counter is open specifically as follows:
- 6.30am – 9.00am- for Breakfast meals
- 12.00 noon- 2.30 pm- for Lunch Meals
- 6.00pm – 9.00 pm- for Dinner meals
There is a section in the University Restaurant referred to as Snack Bar
which is opened from 6.30am – 9.00 pm. It majors in beverages and snacks.
VISION 2030 RESTAURANT
This restaurant is mainly for staff. All other customers, including students who can afford the meals are encouraged to eat here. Meals for University meetings and Functions are provided in this section It operates from 8.00am – 5.00pm.
- The Chief Catering Manager’s Office is marked no. 39 and is adjacent to Elimu Hall. It is always open from 8.00 am – 5.00 pm from Monday to Friday.
- The Cateresses Office is right inside the kitchen operates from 6.30 am -9.00 pm daily when students are in session.
- The accounts and Senior Storeman’s office is also one of the offices within the Department.
The Department is manned by 32 professional employees- 23 male and 9 female employees ( Vision 2030 – . Medical examination is done on them every six months, hence employees are medically fit. The staff comprise of the following; Chief Catering Officer (CCO), Cateress In-charge of Operations, Cateress on Duty, Headcooks, Headwaiters, Cashiers( Seconded from Finance Department), Store Clerks ( Seconded from Procurement Department) Cooks Waiters and Stewards (Cleaners).
Meals and Dishes
There are a variety of over 40 dishes on our menu which are both western and traditional dishes. The dishes are priced according to market rates of the raw materials and all overheads incurred. Meetings for Students Welfare Committee Chaired by the Deputy Vice-Chancellor (Academic and Research) are held frequently to determine food selling prices in the University Restaurant.
Special Events/ Bookings/Outside Catering Services
The Department also does Outside Catering Services at a fee for various functions. This is done with prior arrangements as indicated on the Service Delivery Charter. Outside catering services can be within the University or outside. The services include;
- Religious Functions, e.g., Easter, Ramadhan, Christmas parties
- Birthday Parties
- Farewell Parties
- Graduation Parties
- Meetings (Council, Senate, School Board and Departmental)
- Presidental or Political Functions
- Baking of Occasional cakes (weddings, birthdays, etc)
Hiring of Equipments/ Purchasing of Empty Jerricans
The Department hires equipments to whoever is in need. The charges and procedures are indicated on
the Department Service Delivery Charter. The Department also sells empty jerricans when available.
Quality Control Measures
The Catering Department adheres to all regulations and legislation governing food safety, quality and hygiene;Food, Drugs and Chemicals Act Chapter 254 revised Edition 2013; and the Weights and Measures Act no,2 cap 513 of 2002. All the staff in the Department have been trained on Occupational Health and Safety, while some on ISO 9001:2008 and HACCP ISO: 22000. The University is in the process of acquiring 1SO 9001:2008 Certification. Our clients are therefore assured of quality, hygienic, nutritious and tasty meals as always.
The Department intends to do the following:
- Expand its Catering services by having conference facilities.
- Computerisation of all catering services for efficient service delivery.
- Modernize of all kitchens and restaurants in tandem with the required standards.
- Continuous training its staff in the latest catering trends and innovations.
- Operate our own bakery plant to cost save on various snacks and bread.
- Offering services to academic programmes in hospitality and tourism industry.
We are here for you to provide a home far away from home. Welcome and enjoy our unique services.
The catering department operates a horticulture section which is roughly 2 acres and is manned by ten casuals. Assorted vegetables including: Dhania; Cabbages; Tomatoes; Onions; Carrots; Potatoes; Arrowroots; Sweet Potatoes; Maize – both green and dry; Kales; Spinach; Managu; Kunde; Saggetti; Terere; are planted. The produce is used in the Catering Department and in case of any extra this is sold to the community for commercial use.